Why do good floppy disks go bad?

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 18:32:24 CDT 2016

On 04/07/2016 12:12 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> I'll go one step further and state that if you hear your drive
> squealing, throw the disk away and clean the heads before you insert
> another disk.

If you even get the opportunity. I remember a disk - it was either Parrot
or Wabash, I loathe them in equal measure as they seem particularly prone
to binder problems - once squeaking in a drive, immediately followed by a
crunch as one of the drive heads parted company with the surrounding
structure. The heads had only just been cleaned, so all it took was the
single read attempt to destroy the drive.

Thankfully it's only happened to me the once, but it was annoying as it was
in a vintage machine with dual drives, which means at some point I need to
find a matching replacement (or replace the junk + good drive with a
matched pair)

cheers

Jules