Need info for a VAX Station 3100 SPX / VS42A-DA

william degnan billdegnan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 11:36:39 CDT 2016

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 11:36 PM, Glen Slick <glen.slick at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 7:45 PM, Pete Lancashire
> <pete at petelancashire.com> wrote:
> > Won the guy on the big auction site, put the minimum bid down and $50
> later
> > it showed up on the doorstop.
> >
> > http://petelancashire.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=6027
> >
> > Sorry for the bad photo's but the sun was going down fast.
> >
> > Been trying to find the display interface specs, pinout, freqs, etc. but
> so
> > far have been overwhelmed with just about everything else.
> >
> > Other things I guess I'll need are
> >
> > Also what keyboard should I be looking for ?
> >
> > What options do I have for an O/S ?
> >
> > The last time I logged into a VAX was one of many 11/780s the company I
> > worked for was like 198? something.
>
> A VAXstation 3100 series GPX (VS40X-PA) controller is supposed to have
> a resolution of 1024 by 864 at 60Hz while the SPX (WS01X-GA)
> controller is supposed to have a resolution of 1280 by 1024 at 66 Hz.
>
> The color video cable 15-pin D-shell to 3-BNC cable for the SPX is the
> BC23J-03.
>
> The keyboard is the common LK201.
>
> I installed OpenVMS 7.3 on my VAXstation 3100 M76 SPX.

If you don't have the correct monitor for xwindow for now that may not
matter yet anyway.  First you need to get into the serial console to set up
the system, reset the password, etc.  I have a 3100 I recently got up and
running, the thread is on my web site if any of this info will be useful to
you.

My battery is still good, but you also will want to replace the battery if
the system asks you to set the time on each cold boot.

My microvax3100 has only serial console display.
--
@ BillDeg:
Web: vintagecomputer.net