Resetting/bypassing P/OS password on DEC Pro 3xx series?

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Mon Sep 28 07:25:18 CDT 2015

On 2015-09-28 14:15, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On 2015-09-28 05:39, Josh Dersch wrote:
>> Anyone recall what the procedure is for resetting or bypassing the
>> password on P/OS?
>>
>> I *know* I was able to find this out before (in 2008 or so) because I
>> did it on another Pro 350 I have, but I cannot for the life of me find
>> anyplace that documents the procedure (the FAQ
>> (http://www.deccomputer.info/2012/05) has no useful suggestions).
>>
>> I recall it required booting from a special floppy that had a few
>> filesystem tools that'd allow replacing the password file; I'm sure I
>> still have the disk image but I have no idea which one it is.  I guess I
>> should have saved the instructions somewhere (or maybe I did and I
>> simply can't find them!).  I must be getting old.
>>
>> I have a new Pro 350 in my possession which has a PC compatibility card;
>> I'd like to see if the hard drive contains software for it (or anything
>> else interesting) before I wipe it...
>
> You might find some help/inspiration at
> ftp://ftp.update.uu.se/pub/professional/FAQ/profaq

Ah. Sorry. It seems the link you posted essentially have the same
information as the FAQ I posted a link to. (Actually, I have the version
you posted a link to as well.)

The question is addressed in Q30 in the document you linked, and in Q23
in the document I linked (which is just an older version).

However, apart from the password floppy tip, I don't think the FAQ
actually have a solution. The suggestions are based on how normal RSX
works, which do not apply to the professional here.

	Johnny