Honeywell/Bull DPS-6 deskside info?

jwsmobile jws at jwsss.com
Thu Sep 24 17:05:11 CDT 2015

On 9/24/2015 9:54 AM, Sean Caron wrote:
> I think this anecdote is also referenced in the AFDC installation site
> story on multicians.org? Sounds familiar...
>
> Best,
>
> Sean
Cookie monster originated on Multics, and was taken to the GCOS
environment if it got there in the same incarnation.

We had graduated to far better toys when Cookie monster showed up at the
USL (Lafayette, La) Multics installation.  We had a modified version of
the timeshare send message command that was modified to be "send
command"  Once you had it so that it was stealth installed on a users
account whenever they were on you could make their terminals do things
spontaneously.

Very entertaining.   Cookie Monster was objectionable to me in that the
joke cause you to have to log out and destroyed your session, which I
didn't find as amusing as if it did the cookie trick and something more
clever.

I also had remote execution and logging in a startrek basic program that
took over the installation, but took it back out since the above send
command had run its course.  But it did provide an education to a couple
of SysAdmin types who thought they were clever and had never heard of
trojans.  Done to them by the local Honeywell Site SA.

thanks
Jim