Structured Fortran - was Re: Self modifying code, lambda calculus

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Tue Sep 22 23:06:57 CDT 2015

On 9/22/2015 9:25 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 09/22/2015 07:11 PM, Jay Jaeger wrote:
>
> We've been here before and I don't care to chew already masticated cud.
>  Suffice it to say, that I've never seen a C for a non-binary,
> variable-word-length machine using 6-bit characters.  I've seen plenty
> of FORTRANs for such an architecture, however.
>
> --Chuck

That is just because they are so old that, aside from collectors or
those interested in a particular old machine, nobody ever *bothered*.
By the time C came along, those machines were well on their way to their
eventual demise.

I am 100% certain, for example, that it would be possible to come up
with a C compiler for a 40K IBM 1410, which is in the set you describe.
 But even I, as one of the few denizens that are "into" that particular
machine, would not bother with a C compiler for it.

JRJ