PDP-11 Overlays

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Mon Sep 21 20:53:32 CDT 2015

On 2015-09-21 23:16, Jerome H. Fine wrote:

> [...]
>> put o1 in region 1, o2 and o5 in region 2, and o3 and o6 in region 3.
>>
>> The memory requirements would be:
>>
>>     rt11: main + o1 + max (o2, o5) + max (o3, o6)
>>     rsx:  main + o1 + max (o2 + o3, o5 + o6)
>>
>> If o2 and o6 are large while o3 and o5 are small, then the RSX case
>> gives you a smaller memory footprint.
>>
> In RT-11, you can also put o5 in region three and o6 in region two
> and still have o5 call o6.  If TKB does not allow that, then it is
> more restrictive in some ways than RT-11.  So the memory
> requirements would be:
>
>             RT-11:  main + max (o2, o6) + max (o3, o5)
>
> This is probably better than the RT-11 memory requirement which
> you suggested, but likely not as good as the RSX-11 memory
> requirement.
>
> Also, my example is rarely that simple in actual practice.
>
> Another important aspect is that RT-11 has a few extra instructions
> in the overlay handler which determines if the overlay is already in
> memory.  The linker assigns an overlay number to each overlay and
> places that value (actually *6) in the first word of each overlay as a
> data value that the user program does not see.  When the overlay
> handler is invoked and the address to be used for the .ReadF request
> is found, the overlay handler checks to determine if that value *6 is
> still in the first word.  If so, the overlay handler can assume that the
> overlay is still in memory and the call can jump to the normal entry
> address for that subroutine call without the overhead of reading the
> overlay  NOTE that this check depends on a region which has
> the same starting address for all overlays within the region and
> no overlap between regions.  This allows for that extra word
> which the user code is unaware of and never accesses.
>
> In MACRO-11 which executes under RT-11, I modified the
> overlay handler to keep track of how many times the overlay
> was called and how may times it needed to be read.  99% of the
> time, the overlay was already in memory and the code was ready
> to be executed.  The number of calls can be so large that a 32-bit
> entry was required to track the number of calls.  It was very easy
> to add the additional code since the instructions to test for the
> overlay being present were already there along with an extra
> register (having already been saved) that pointed to the 32-bit
> entry that kept track of the number of calls as well as the number
> of times that the overlay needed to be read.
>
> My question is if TKB overlays also have these extra instructions?
> For example, if there are three trees with only two trees having a
> second overlay, does the overlay handler know if the second overlay
> for a different tree is still there?  It seems doubtful since a data value
> could, by chance, have the same value that was being checked.
>
> So each overlay handler has advantages and disadvantages.
> I wonder if in RSX-11 the MACRO-11 assembler takes longer
> than in RT-11 when it needs to always read in the overlay?

I don't have the energy to respond in much detail. Suffice to say that
of course RSX can see if the overlay is already in memory, and will not
read it in unless actually needed. And yes, as far as memory usage goes,
in RSX you can always get to the optimal memory usage. But it might
require some work on your part.

	Johnny