Self modifying code, lambda calculus - Re: ENIAC programming

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Sep 21 14:08:42 CDT 2015

On 09/21/2015 11:49 AM, Mouse wrote:
>> [...] a first encounter with the notion, at least for me, involved
>> FORTRAN, not any language.  [...]
>
> I've always thought of FORTRAN as a language, so I am clearly
> missing something here.  What?

Probably a misspeak.   But FORTRAN is more than simply a language--it's
a way of life.  :)

The gist was that the notion of an overlay tree was first brought to my
notice with FORTRAN.  It could be that it had been presented in earlier
documents as such and evaded my notice., It did take the form of a set
of subroutine calls, and was not an element of standard FORTRAN.

As mentioned, COBOL had a similar scheme that was embedded in the
language itself.

--Chuck