DEC Alpha 3000 Model 600

Jason Howe jason at smbfc.net
Sun Sep 20 20:08:40 CDT 2015

On 09/20/2015 05:41 PM, Rod Smallwood wrote:
> I'm pleased to be able to report the successful installation of
> OpenVMS 8.3 - Alpha on my  3000 M600
> It now runs Dec Windows on the graphics screen and a terminal on the
> serial port.
> TCPIP works and I can get to my local network OK.
>
> Now to find a browser. There must have been one
>
> Rod

Rod,

There is the Compaq Secure Web Browser, which is a horribly ancient
compile of netscape? Mozilla?  can't remember at the moment.

http://h71000.www7.hp.com/openvms/products/ips/cswbs/cswbs.html

It barely runs on my Dec 3000 w/ 192 MB of memory.

There are VMS builds of lynx/links out there for VMS which run much
better, but as with all terminal based text web browsers are of dubious
utility.

--Jason