TSS/8 with modern disks?

John Wilson wilson at dbit.com
Sat Sep 19 15:45:44 CDT 2015

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 12:30:13PM -0700, Al Kossow wrote:
>When did the 4K user space(s?) actually swap? Did they round-robin or swap
>based on activity? I would think they would stay in place until cpu-bound
>jobs reached their time quantum. With only a couple of people on a 32k
>machine, it may not even swap that much, depending on what the users were
>running. I'd guess BASIC was pretty big.

My understanding is that it's round-robin among runnable jobs, one time
slice at a time.  I.e. the simplest possible way.  IIRC the monitor always
takes up two fields (not swappable).  One more field (so, 12 KW total) is
the minimum necessary to run at all -- SI, FIP, and all the users can share
that field with frantic enough swapping (which causes a pretty lights show
on the RF08 panel).  Any more memory than that means less swapping (or
none), so it's kicking out the LRU job as needed.  I have a hazy memory
that SI and FIP *only* run in field 2?  Could be wrong.

BASIC runs in your 4 KW with you.  I've never seen its sources so I don't
know how clever it is about overlays and/or keeping your program on disk.
It's a very limited BASIC.  Strings are 6 characters.  Not max -- *always* 6.
Line #s max out at 2046.

John Wilson
D Bit