SIMH PDP-8 question

Vincent Slyngstad v.slyngstad at frontier.com
Fri Sep 18 09:08:38 CDT 2015

From: Charles: Thursday, September 17, 2015 6:46 PM
> Anyway, I'd like to do the same thing in SIMH (get the text file into Focal
> and then save it as a Focal program). Is there any way to do this with SIMH?
> Can I assign the text file to a paper tape reader, for example?

This should work fairly easily using the high speed paper
tape peripherals of SIMH.  You can equip an output file
for the punch, punch the "tape", then equip that file for
the reader, and I believe the asterisk command or some
such Focal feature will read it in.  Save to disk, and you'll
have your text file converted.

Low speed paper tape on SIMH is more problematic, as
you don't really have an 8 bit channel, flow control isn't
implemented, etc.  (At least on the console that is shared
with the SIMH command prompt.)

    Vince