Cryptolocker (was RE: Is tape dead?

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu Sep 17 12:43:57 CDT 2015

> On Sep 17, 2015, at 1:33 PM, Al Kossow <aek at bitsavers.org> wrote:
>
> On 9/17/15 9:58 AM, Paul Koning wrote:
>>
>> DtCyber is open source
>
> but their OS collection is not.
> they're called "controlfreaks" for a reason.

Yes, because they like Control Data products.

From what I understand, COS is in fact generally available because it's in the public domain.

The other OSs are not; they are distributed by permission of their owners.  At the moment, those permissions do not extend to making them available to the whole world.  The keepers of the archive of course honor the restrictions imposed by the owners.

In that respect, the situation is not significantly different from, say, that of VMS.  VMS is released under a hobbyist license, which is available by request.  Controlfreaks is a mechanism for making software available on a similar basis and is also available by request.

	paul