Is tape dead?

Dave G4UGM dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 13:24:23 CDT 2015

I think there are other pressures, but I am sure there is an element of
this. The other one is that they are under pressure to save money and often
there can be short term "savings"..
.. and once there is no internal system to compare with then senior
management can't dispute the costs

>  So much in the news about companies getting hacked
> and all the information stolen makes me wonder why your competition just
> cant have you hacked and your files tampered with. By the time you figure
> out something is fishy your off site mirror data might be screwed as well.

That's why you need to be able to go back generations as well. I also see
that the rise in "ransom ware" in a corperate environment..

> The
> cloud is a hackers dream, why spend the time to hack individual companies
> when you can hack a data center and get 1000's of them at once.

Because if it is done properly it looks like lots of individual companies
and hacking them all can be a problem.
I also believe that cloud companies are less likely to take short cuts with
security....

> I like tape for archives and collect all kinds of formats for fun. Most of
what I
> use personally is LTO 1/2 since its so cheap and 100/200GB per tape is
still
> useful. For old machines you just mess around with DLT/DDS/AIT work just
> fine. I have QIC tapes from the early 90's that are still readable if
needed.

I have a selection of tapes but DLT2 is my biggest...

Dave