BBC Model B with Raspberry Pi Internals

Adam Sampson ats at offog.org
Tue Sep 8 04:46:20 CDT 2015

Mark Wickens <mark at wickensonline.co.uk> writes:

> does anyone know of a documented project that replaced the internals
> of a BBC Model B with a Raspberry Pi (or MiniITX PC) interfacing with
> keyboard etc. to bring modern internals with a traditional interface?

This one's been around for a while:
  http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/bbcitxb/

Tynemouth Software do USB keyboard controllers for the keyboards of
various 80s micros, including the BBC:
  http://blog.tynemouthsoftware.co.uk/2014/09/bbc-micro-usb-keyboard.html
  https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TynemouthSoftware

I wouldn't want to dismantle a working machine to do this, but it was
common enough back in the day -- I converted a dead Dragon 32 into a Z80
machine in the early 90s, and I was given a terminal keyboard fitted
with a ZX Spectrum motherboard at one point. It certainly seems a better
use for (say) an Electron with a dead ULA than just sitting around
gathering dust, and it's easy enough to do it reversibly these days.

I've occasionally wondered about building an ARM workstation inside an
IBM Model M keyboard...

Cheers,

--
Adam Sampson <ats at offog.org>                         <http://offog.org/>