Reading ROMs

Mike Loewen mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Fri Sep 4 06:22:31 CDT 2015

On Thu, 3 Sep 2015, Jay West wrote:

> Marc wrote....
> HP 1000. Not only the standard 24 pin ROMs but the small 14 or 16 pin
> bootloader ROMs that Jay showed me at VCF. What would be a good ROM
> programmer that could read and write these  of older HP equipment ROMs?
> -----------
>
> The Data I/O 29B works perfectly for those old fusable link proms. With
> optional additional attachments, it can program more "modern" devices as
> well.
>
> I have a list of the various blanks needed for 21MX loader roms, and the two
> different blanks needed for microcode. I'll dig that up and post tomorrow.

    From my notes on upgrading my 2109E to run RTE-6/VM:

    "I used a Data I/O 29B programmer to burn the PROMs, with a Unipak 2B.
The blank PROMs were variously Signetics N82S141, MMI 6341-1 and National
74S474. Along with the 12821A HP-IB board, you also need a Boot Loader
PROM, 12992H (12992-80004). The boot loader PROM is a Signetics N82S129 or
equivalent. For installation information about the firmware PROMs, see
manual 12791-90001 (HP 1000 M/E/F-Series Firmware Installation and
Reference Manual). For boot loader information, see manual 12792-90001 (HP
12992 Loader ROMs Installation Manual)."

Mike Loewen				mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us