youtube video of a runnning XDS Sigma mainframe with lots of nice peripherals

P Gebhardt p.gebhardt at ymail.com
Sat Oct 31 06:15:18 CDT 2015

Hello list,

spotted this video recently on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQzDSOXHd70

It's a Xerox Digital Systems mainframe! Wow, I didn't know that such installations were still running as of 1997!

The computer room is quite untidy. Andybody has an idea, where with was filmed?

There's also a Data General minicomputer and Honeywell mainframe equipment.
Can anybody identify the Honeywell stuff? It's Level 6000 style, but
it's strange to me that there seems to be just this one cabinet along the
rest of the XDS equipment. Maybe a Datanet option?

There are *very* nice close views on running CDC disk drives using the 100/200MB disk packs.
I was looking for a long time for a video actually showing how the big head actuator

of these drives moves when performing data operations!

And there are nice reel tape drives which look to me like rebadged IBM drives (not sure, though).

Enjoy watching it! I did!

Kind regards,
Pierre