Trying to get my RLV11 working

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 12:17:46 CDT 2015

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 12:52 PM, Ben Sinclair <ben at bensinclair.com> wrote:
> Thanks! I did find someone who has the bc80m cable available, which I
> believe is a ribbon type of connector with a ground strap on one end,
> then a round cable to the berg connector for the back of the RL02. I
> think it's the cable pictured here:
> http://www.cosam.org/computers/dec/pdp11-23/20080403.html

Yes.  That's a BC80M, but it's not a ribbon cable on the controller
end, it's the splayed end of the round cable (12 pair + 1, IIRC) with
crimped gold pins and a 44 position Berg connector.  You can use those
if you don't have a cab kit (which is really just a bracket for the
rack, a 40-pin ribbon cable, and one of those odd ZIF connectors like
on the back of the drive to transition from flat cable to round cable)
but then you'll need a drive-to-drive RL cable.

> The RLV11 and RLV12 seem hard to find, at least on eBay

It's been a long time since these were easy to find.

-ethan