Model 152 PSU dummy loads - Re: NeXT Cube - powers on briefly then off again

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Oct 26 13:49:43 CDT 2015

On 10/26/2015 10:52 AM, Toby Thain wrote:

> Damn, I already ordered a pile of HVAC gear.
>
> j/k - yeah that was what I was basically planning, Ian ... just as a
>  noob, I'm not totally confident with what a single air cooled part
> can dissipate.

The talk about dummy loads brought back a memory of the Heath
Cantenna--an RF dummy load consisting of a Globar (noninductive)
resistor in a gallon paint can filled with mineral oil with an
attachment to a SO-239 "UHF" connector on top.  IIRC, it was literally
capable of dissipating a full "gallon".

Kanthal Globar is still very much in business and does offer the
resistors, if anyone wants to build such a unit for old times' sake.

--Chuck