Retro Reproduction.

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Oct 23 11:59:11 CDT 2015

    > From: Rod Smallwood

    > perhaps we can pool our knowledge and and allocate getting different
    > parts sourced/made to different people.

Makes sense to me.

    > 2. Lever keys (pdp8 type and PDP11 type )

For the PDP-11, there are three kinds of plastic toggle/actuator: one like the
ones used on the mid-age PDP-8's, used on the 11/20; one sui generis one used
on the 11/05; one for the 11/40/45/70. The latter two use the toggle switch
(the one we've just been discussing); the 11/20 one uses a slide switch.

ISTR that there's a CAD drawing for the first kind, and maybe the third too.

    > I shall now go and hide behind my six foot / nineteen inch main rack in
    > case of heavy flack

No, makes sense (to me, at least).

	Noel

PS: I can see where this is going: first we're already making parts like front
panels; we're about to start making/selling new cards (I'm thinking MEM-11,
etc, here); soon someone will start reproducing some of the older boards that
are now rare, and command high prices (my suggestion for the first - the M792
diode ROM board); and then it will be cabinets like the H960 (ditto); and then
finally, somewhere down the line, you'll be able to buy a complete,
brand-spanking-new PDP-8 or PDP-11. Just like the vintage steam engine scene
in the UK; first they started making new parts to repair the old ones, and now
there are several groups building entire new engines entirely out of new
parts.