PDP8 / ETOS

Rick Murphy rick at rickmurphy.net
Mon Oct 19 05:40:08 CDT 2015

At 11:08 PM 10/18/2015, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>On 2015-10-19 04:58, ben wrote:
>>On 10/18/2015 8:43 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>>>thus making it also able to run under MULTOS-8.
>>>
>>>Memory requirements and availability is a different story, but yes,
>>>ADVENT will require the full 32K, as far as I remember.
>>
>>I think a few changes where made a few years back, It could be a bit
>>smaller now with the latest code.

Not significantly. Small enough to be much less likely to run out of
memory even with multiple 2-page handlers installed, but certainly not
small enough to allow it to run in 16K, for example.

The loader map says:
  70000  = 1ST FREE LOCATION

That means that it uses up all of 28K (with FRTS) without any device
drivers installed. If it was possible to bum another couple of pages it
might be possible to get it to work with 28K, but currently it won't.
32K is required for it to work. As always with trying to make code more
compact, the more times you go back to try to shrink things the harder
it gets. I haven't tried for several years, however.

>That would be interesting to check out. You know where I could find it?

http://www.rickmurphy.net/adventure.html
         -Rick