PDP8 / ETOS

Rick Murphy rick at rickmurphy.net
Sun Oct 18 05:37:01 CDT 2015

At 01:22 PM 10/17/2015, David Gesswein wrote:
>On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 11:03:51PM -0400, Rick Murphy wrote:
>
>System users guide pg 4-10. Fortran IV. Real time functions and floating
>point processor functions are not currently supported. The internal
>device handlers for high speed reader/punch and card reader are not
>supported.
>Device independent I/O must be used to access these devices.
>
>I don't know if that means the floating point instrutions won't work but
>the software emulator fallback will or any attempt to use floating
>point will
>fail.

The Fortran IV compiler emits FPP code, so what that has to mean is
that you can't use a hardware floating point unit and must use the
built-in emulator. That makes sense, as the FPP code has built-in
15-bit addresses that won't get swizzled by the ETOS time-sharing option.

Guess I'll try to get a round tuit and bring up ETOS on my PiDP-8 to
see if it can be made to work.
     -Rick