Contents of DEC 8" floppies

Dave G4UGM dave.g4ugm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 06:00:43 CDT 2015

Not
> sure how you'd handle this without DECnet, but I obviously don't the know
> any VMS specifics. In RSX, you can certainly communicate over X.25 without
> the DECnet overhead, but you use NCP to configure your
> X.25 links. So you need at least the CEX subsystem, but not the full
DECnet
> stack.

>From what I remember VAX PSI has its own programs to configure the X.25
links.
Certainly in the early days the only connectivity that was supported was
X.3, X.28 and X.29 terminal access.
So there was an X.29 terminal program, and you could connect to the VAX from
an X.29 PAD.
The problem was as the VAX kind of insists on sending one character per
packet the overhead was horrendous.
In the UK we had coloured book protocols that ran on top of X.25 to provide
mail and file transfer.
I think Reading University wrote the VAX version but Digital marketed it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coloured_Book_protocols

The poor performance due to the character mode terminals and other aspects
of the software meant it was pretty much universally hated by DEC lovers as
this tirade shows...

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.os.vms/QU1svFCgAkM

In fact DEC had little option. If they had not provided the X.25 software
they would have been unable to sell large machines to UK Universities as
support of Janet was required to get central government funding.

> 	Johnny

Dave
G4UGM