8" hard sector (Was DG S/130 status)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Thu Oct 15 21:13:13 CDT 2015

On 10/15/2015 02:19 PM, Jay Jaeger wrote:
> So, hole by hole - what about the extra hole for the index - one
> would need the jig to have an extra hole for the punch for that at
> 1/2 spacing.

>> A set of 10- and 16-hole punching jigs were done by a list member
>> some years ago.  They work through the window in the sleeve, so
>> don't require opening the sleeve.  But they're for 5.25".

If this was my circus,  I'd machine a fixture consisting of a plate with
the 33 sector/index holes precision-drilled and a top plate with the
same holes and a hub for the floppy to fit over.  Use the index hole to
align the thing and then, using a sharpened punch, go around the entire
32-hole circuit.  Presto--a pefectly-punched disk.

The more elite may want to punch the holes with a laser.  In either
case, the cookie has to come out of the envelope, but that's usually not
much of a problem.

Or go over to vintage-computer.com.  There's a fella there who's using
an MCU to generate the sector pulses for 5.25" floppies.

--Chuck