RK11-C (was Re: H960 logo panel)

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 15:46:31 CDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 4:07 PM, Henk Gooijen <henk.gooijen at hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 2:13 PM, Henk Gooijen <henk.gooijen at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I'd love to get one complete RK11-C ... anybody?  :-)
>
> I have an RK11-C but it did not come with a panel.
>
> Now you know where you can leave it behind for a good old retirement :-)

> You don't happen to get that RK11-C from an eBay auction some 8 - 9,
> maybe 10 years ago?

I did not.  I've had it since August, 1984, and I got it from Software
Results shortly before starting to work there.  It (along with a
stripped PDP-8/a and a DataSystems 310 desk) came with a pair of RK05
drives: one RK05J and one RK05F (but no power supply) that I wanted to
use with the PDP-8.  I'm told the whole pile came from Ohio State
Surplus sometime in 1983 or so.

Sadly, I mangled the RK05F due to youth and inexperience.  I might
still have the front cover for that RK05F in a box of parts, but I'm
pretty sure the rest of the drive got stripped for parts 30 years ago
to repair RK05J drives (if I knew then what I know now, I assure you
that events would have unfolded differently, but I had no docs and no
experience... then I had a series of "educational experiences" with
this hardware and am wiser now).  I only ever saw one other RK05F in
the wild, FWIW.

> I remember (just) one RK11-C passing by on eBay, and that was when I
> still worked at Océ training centre, so at least 8 years ago. It sold for
> ~ $50 (IIRC).  Will never forget that I let that one go!  :-(

That's an amazing price just for the pile of FLIPCHIPs.

-ethan