Writing SCSI 9-Track Mag Tapes from Windows/DOS

Marc Verdiell marc.verdiell at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 19:51:02 CDT 2015

Thanks, this looks perfect. And indeed my tape is ID 5 (brainwaves anyone?).
Can you elaborate on the differences between E11 and SIMH? When is it the
same, when will it not be compatible?
Marc

================================
Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2015 02:52:36 -0400
From: John Wilson <wilson at dbit.com>

My "ST.EXE" program (available from http://www.dbit.com/pub/ibmpc/util/
including source) runs on real DOS (not Windows) and can write from an
E11-format .TAP file (which SIMH uses a garbled version of, but they're
interchangeable for *even* record lengths which are 99% of the universe)
to a real tape.  It works on my HP 88780, and my Qualstar 1260S and even
a DEC TZ30 or TK50Z-GA (which aren't quite full SCSI-1).  Not picky at all.
"st wput foo.tap" should write your image out.  You need a DOS ASPI driver
for your SCSI card, and you'll need to use something like "-f scsi5:" on
the command line (or set the TAPE environment variable) so ST will know
which SCSI ID (etc.) to use.

John Wilson
D Bit