Thoughts on manual database design?

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Fri Oct 2 20:08:22 CDT 2015

On 10/2/2015 7:25 PM, Mike Stein wrote:
> Ah, OK; not really relational then, but as long as it works reliably...

Not *fully* relational.  It fits at least one of the lower echelon
orders, I think.

> Yeah, you may not remarry or repaint a cabinet but it's quite possible
> that you'll move one...
>
> Doesn't your software provide for hiding the auto keys except during
> maintenance?

Actually, I will need them to put in the references and for the
application to follow to get details (particularly for the update
application) and to use in the 1 to many situations where an auto
increment key exists.

> No provision for multiple (changed) publishers so a given manual could
> show up under both Compaq or HP, for example?

Yes, there is.  That is why an *artifact* - a given *hardcopy* of a
manual - has a *publisher*.   As I mentioned in an earlier reply at some
point to someone, a given manual applies to a single machine
*manufacturer* (e.g., Apollo is considered the manufacturer of the DN
series, even though, technically, later HP made them for a year or two),
but a given manual with the same number the applies to them might have
Apollo as a publisher (older copy) and HP (newer copy - with the same
contents).

A given hardcopy of a manual could not change publishers.  The publisher
is permanent characteristic of that copy.

I could conceivably add a Publisher column to the Manual_File table, too
(indicating the publisher of that scan of the manual), but I didn't see
the point.  Most textual searches in the online application will be on a
join of Manual and Manual_Artifact (where the Manual table data gets
replicated in the result set for each artifact), so the publisher can be
picked up that way.

JRJ