DEC H745 regulator common failure modes?

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Fri Nov 27 10:48:40 CST 2015

On 11/26/2015 11:13 PM, Pontus Pihlgren wrote:
> I can only say that they fail often. We have replaced lots in
> our 11/70. Luckily we have had spares.
>
> Sometimes the failure has been rather catastrofic with blown
> components. I think these modules run quite hot since
> discoloured pcb:s are common.

My experience with an 11/45 that ran 24/7 was the AMP
Mate-n-Lok connectors would get a poor contact, heat up and
go into thermal runaway, melting the plastic housing and
totally frying the contacts.  I had to repair these at least
5 times while we had that machine.  I never actually had a
regulator itself go bad, it was always the contacts.  Maybe
we just got lucky.  (This was also about 1977 - 1980, so
parts have probably deteriorated a lot more since then.)

Jon