Todays Topic from Panelman

rod rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 17 14:03:47 CST 2015

Thanks yes they do look similar. I'll download the data sheet.
What I forgot to explain was the problem is not the switch itself but
the additional part on top into which the two pivot pins locate.
My policy is to produce form factor replacements. In this case the lever
arm.
If they can then be incorporated into other assemblies then good.

Here the lever rotates about a pivot point formed by the two sides of
the additional structure on top.
A missing segment in the lower semi-circular part of the lever engages
with the slide switch and moves it.
So there being no known source of the switch with the extra part on top
and not wanting to change the lever.
What do we do? It would not have been feasible to make the top part and
attach it, as its spring steel.
Its horrible stuff to work with. Pretty much you are limited to die
stamping it in a heavy press.

They would have punched the shape and the holes out with a hardened die
and then before or after spot welding it to an empty switch body hit it
again with a folding die to bring the sides up.
That would be too expensive to get set up. So I am looking at alternatives.

Rod