Tektronix 4051 RAMPACK - new design

Christian Corti cc at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Mon Nov 16 04:25:49 CST 2015

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015, Bob Rosenbloom wrote:
> I was contacted by Micheal D. Cranford from the Tektronix Museum up in OR
> about
> a design for a ROM module for the Tektronix 4051 graphic computer. It looks
> to be a very
> useful item. See the description below. He's looking to build up some of them
> and make them
> available. Cost would be about $100 each, assembled. He needs seven people to
> make it
> worthwhile, I would take two, so we need five more people.

Something similar has been done over 30 years ago, see
ftp://ftp.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/cm/tektronix/tek4051/backram/

The module is called BACKRAM, and you are supposed to load the contents
with RAM_LOADER.PRG. We use the COMBIROM file that has many very useful
routines for tape and CBM disk handling. I've attached a CBM 8050 drive to
the Tektronix 4051. To use the BACKRAM I only need one tape cartridge that
holds the loader and RAM image.

Christian