NeXTSTEP 3.3 Web Browser

Alan Perry aperry at snowmoose.com
Thu Nov 12 11:45:20 CST 2015

On 11/11/15 6:50 PM, Tapley, Mark wrote:
> On Nov 11, 2015, at 5:45 PM, Kyle Owen <kylevowen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Good to know. Thanks for the confirmation! And you're running NeXTSTEP 3.3,
>> correct?
> Correct.
>
>> The two MegaPixel displays I have are both functional with some burn in,
>> but they still seem pretty bright. However, one has a very apparent warble,
>> but it was getting better after leaving it on for a while. I'm sure it had
>> been a long time since it was powered up.
> Mine looked unusably fuzzy when first turned on. I sighed and left it on, and it has “cleaned up” remarkably. I’m somewhat curious what causes that. Warble wasn’t much of a problem, but it seems pretty solid now.
>
> You know about the Lighthouse Design suite of applications, right? Presentation, spreadsheet, word processor, drawing program, etc.
>
> http://download.ithinksw.com/lighthouse/
>
> Don’t forget the license strings.

I no longer have NeXT hardware, but have a few applications with
licenses. Two are different versions of Design! from Lighthouse Design
and are on the website above. Two (Collagist and StayInTouch) are from
SmartSoft and I have not found them anywhere else. The SmartSoft web
page on their NeXT applications was last updated in 1995 and they
haven't responded to my e-mail asking about the license.

I have tried to sell then give these applications away on the NeXT
forums and got no takers.

> I’m also very partial to WriteNow, if you are able to find a copy of it.
>
> Licensing will be a *real* issue, but a version of Mathematica 3 will also run on that system. No idea where you could possibly find a copy of that, but it’s pretty cool and remarkably capable.

Licensing for Mathematica is stupid.  Wolfram still wants money for
25-year-old software that runs on long unsupported hardware.

On a related topic, is there a browser that runs on Openstep 4.2 on
SPARC now? OmniWeb reports that its license is expired and exits on my
system.

alan