NeXTSTEP 3.3 Web Browser

Kyle Owen kylevowen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 14:03:23 CST 2015

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 1:35 PM, Tom Moss <tomjmoss at googlemail.com> wrote:

> What document did you try to open?

Trying to open /NextApps/Nexus.app/default.html or help.html, or
/NextApps/OmniWeb.app/English.lproj/Start.html.

> I've never used OmniWeb or Nexis, but my experience with Mosaic and early
> Netscape versions makes me think you'd have a hard time getting modern
> pages to load without crashing.

Not yet connected to the Internet. Hope to get it connected up soon.

I should think that Lynx or the original Line Mode browser would be OK.

> http://www.nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/Software/NEXTSTEP/Apps/Internet/WWW/Web%20Browsers/

Hoping to get something a little more than Lynx or line mode, but at this
point, I'll take what I can get that works!

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 1:42 PM, Tapley, Mark <mtapley at swri.edu> wrote:

>         Congratulations on the cool new system!
>         I have OmniWeb running on my non-turbo cube. It occasionally
> crashes, but leaves the system up, and most sessions I get through with no
> trouble. I’ll check version number tonight and update you.
>
>         How much memory is in your system?
>         How much disk space left?
>
>         There is a distributed.net client - you can be the second NeXT
> contributing to RC5-72:
>
> http://www.distributed.net
> http://www.distributed.net/Download
>
>         But obviously, we need to get your browser playing first.

Thanks Mark! My system has 48 MB and around 650 MB left on the 1 GB HDD.
Excited about the possibility of contributing to RC5-72! I'll have to hook
up my less-than-good monitor if I'm going to leave it running for long
periods of time. Maybe I'll install a switch in there to turn off the
filament in the CRT when not in use. :)

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 1:43 PM, Chris Osborn <fozztexx at fozztexx.com> wrote:

> If you need a replacement icon for it, I made some a long time ago:
>
> http://i.imgur.com/EKNAukO.png

Those are awesome! Nice work. I'll be posting to /r/retrobattlestations
soon, by the way...maybe as soon as I can load retro.hackaday.com or the
like.

Kyle