WD9000 Pascal microengine schematics available

Brad Parker brad at heeltoe.com
Tue Nov 10 17:47:53 CST 2015

On 11/10/15 5:50 PM, Eric Smith wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 1:39 PM, Brad Parker <brad at heeltoe.com> wrote:
>> Don't you also need to "delayer" the chip to get all the hidden features?
> For late 1970s coarse geometry NMOS with only one metal layer, it's
> usually possible with only a single photomicrograph, especially if
> there isn't a thick passivation layer. That's how the 6502 was

Wow.  That was really interesting and helpful (thanks to both of you -
Kyle and Eric).

So, since it appears to be NMOS with a single metal layer, it seems like
one could feed the jpeg into a program and find all the polygons.
Interesting.  Now I'm curious how the 6502 guys did it :-)

I understand why it would be interesting to figure out the WD pascal
engine, but what is special about the HP 165xx chip which Al
referenced?  (I've sort of given up on LA's, at least once which are not
embedded in the cpu :-)

-brad