VT100 - FUN

rod rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 10 11:04:41 CST 2015

I remember joining DEC in early October 1973. At the time I was working
for a small local company called Newbury Labs.
We designed and built what were then called glass teletypes.  Twenty
four lines of eighty characters, upwards scrolling only,shift registers
for memory. TTL everything else.

Inside were I think three boards connected by a wiring loom. Edge
connectors what edge connectors?.
Plus a monitor which was about the same performance as a portable TV and
a Cherry Keyboard.
They worked and were a good price.

A guy I knew at DEC (sadly long since passed away) called me and said
DEC were looking for a Sales Engineer to handle volume sales of terminals.
Must know about VDU's printing terminals etc. No sales experience needed
as training would be given.

Within a week I was on the a plane to the US.
As the only terminal guy on the course it was arranged for me to go over
the terminals  product line at Marlboro for product training.
I duly turned up and one of the design engineers took me down to a lab
like room.
There set out in a row were a VT100, a VT52 and an LA36.

Out came the inevitable OHP slides (VT100 to begin with)  and off he
went.  I just about fell off my chair.
A microprocessor (8085?) driven system with every feature you could
imagine.
Very very advanced design, high quality board, pull down four pins and
you could take the top off and get at everything
Plugable keyboard and so on.

All this and loads of expansion opportunities.
Totally awesome. Of course it blew everything away and became the
industry standard.
Even in the then small UK market we sold thousands

Rod Smallwood