PDP 8E Panel Paint Chipping - How to seal edges

Doug Ingraham dpi at dustyoldcomputers.com
Mon Nov 9 14:00:10 CST 2015

Depends on why it is peeling.  My glass panel on the Straight 8 was
peeling.  I suspect finger oil was what started it and once it started
peeling there was no good way to stop it.  I scraped back to the color
change line and cleaned the glass and repainted.  That was around 1985 and
it has stayed put so far.

Your best bet would be to do something similar.  Mask it off and remove the
peeling paint back to the mask line.  Prime the surface and then paint with
a color that is close.  If it will be exposed to a UV source you might
consider overcoating with a UV block type of clear coat.  I think you can
get clear coat in a non gloss if that is what you want.

You can try nail polish.  The acetone in the polish might dissolve the
original paint.  If possible try it first in a place that is not visible.
It could make things worse.

Good luck!

Doug

--