Micro-Altair tape interface

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Tue Nov 3 09:57:10 CST 2015

On 11/2/2015 11:54 PM, dave at 661.org wrote:

> As I finally complete my Micro-Altair kit from Briel Computers, my
> thoughts turn to the question of how I can get an audio tape interface
> working on this machine.
>
> I understand that the MITS tape controller is essentially a serial port
> with a simple modem bolted on the rear.

Yes, exactly - but IIRC it was TTL level.  And didn't work all that
well.  It wasn't too long before I acquired a Processor Technology CUTS
tape interface, which worked only slightly better.   At one point I
re-purposed said MITS tape interface serial port (removing the tape
interface portion) and used it to connect to my Atari 800 serial port,
providing printer and disk services to the Atari.

JRJ