IBM z890

Jay Jaeger cube1 at charter.net
Tue Nov 3 09:44:49 CST 2015

On 11/2/2015 9:15 PM, Mike Ross wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 4:03 PM, Connor Krukosky
> <connork at connorsdomain.com> wrote:
>> I recently won an IBM z890 via auction for $237.
>
> Congratulations! Mainframes are fun!
>
>> It was a very interesting adventure to retrieve this machine since it weighs
>> 1500LBS on a good day, and well myself only clocking in around 115LBS I
>> needed the help of a few friends and family to get this thing into the
>> basement...
>
> So I see. I thought I was mad. Shoehorning that thing under that deck
> is about the silliest bit of computer preservation nonsense I've ever
> seen! Well done! Exactly the kind of thing I might do :-)

I have personally seen that kind of operation before.  Back in the day a
PDP-11/20 was delivered to a group doing a legal records project here in
Madison WI into a house basement using similar techniques, though I
don't think any lifting equipment was required - just tilting some racks
to pretty acute angles to get them under the door header.

And then there was the "Connecticut" 1401...

JRJ