Old HP test equipment power connectors...

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Thu May 28 16:49:12 CDT 2015

On 05/27/2015 04:18 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> I did a little checking today--I compared a male 163-type receptacle with a
> C14 receptacle.  The mounting ear holes appear to have the same spacing;
> the C14 is about 3/4" thick, where the 163 (metal shell) is about 1/2"
> thickness, so you'd need to enlarge the mounting holes about 1/8"  on the
> top and bottom.

Aha, I'm not a fan of non-reversible mods if I've got an alternative.

I'm leaning toward the C5/6 connectors at the moment; I see the cables
around once in a while, but I'm not sure about the availability of
chassis-mount sockets (I expect they're generally PCB-mount).

Option 2 is to use a mounting plate with a grommet and simply have a
permanently-attached power cable - separate power cables on things are just
there to get lost anyway ;-)

I'll arrange a trip back to the site where some of the test equipment came
from though as there may be a nest of the original cables there - the
problem will be finding them, as it was a bit of a dumping ground for
ancient tech.

cheers

Jules