Looking for VAXStation 3520 parts

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Sat May 16 20:49:18 CDT 2015

On 5/14/15 8:22 AM, Sean Caron wrote:
> I was able to pull it back from 1999 and now I remember one of the things
> that I found so neat about it; the 24 bitplane graphics option ...
> considering the late 80s vintage of the machine ... that would have been
> fairly exotic ... are either of your systems so outfitted? It would be neat
> to see the board set ... does anyone know if it is at all similar to the
> VCB02 or was it a totally clean-sheet design? It would be neat to see the
> quality of the 24-bit video.
>
> Best,
>
> Sean

The Graphics option in the 3520/40 is its own beast, as far as I know.
It's definitely not the same as the VCB02.  I have heard (but have not
confirmed) that it has its own VAX CPU chip (same as used in the
MicroVAX II?) driving it, and with the 24-bit option it's three boards
connected together via a small daughterboard in front. I'll take some
pictures when I have some time this weekend or next week.

And just a quick update on my "in search of" status; it looks like I've
found everything.  JT Computers on eBay had a number of 3520/40 boards
listed for mostly ridiculous prices (a 32mb board for $270, for example)
but a friend of mine has recently gotten some stuff from them cheap by
making a lowball offer so I made some offers and got 32mb of RAM, a
second dual-CPU board and the 24-bit graphics expansion for a reasonable
price.  (They still have an 8mb board and a dual CPU board left, last I
checked.)

The CPU and RAM arrived today and are working fine, the graphics board
arrives next week.  VMS is up and running, and I'm trying out OpenBSD
just to see how it runs (NetBSD doesn't support this thing, amazingly
enough :)).  I was going to try Ultrix but it seems to switch over to
the graphics console even though I'm using the serial console (see below).

Now I just need to build the keyboard / mouse cable so I can actually
*use* the graphics; the connector on this, despite being a DB-15 is not
pin-compatible with any of the other 15-pin keyboard/mouse/graphics
cables (the BC18 for the VS2000, for example, which I have a couple
of...) so I need to build an adapter.

- Josh