Olivetti M24 LAN Interface

Robert Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Sat May 16 18:40:32 CDT 2015

Guzis
> Sent: 16 May 2015 20:23
> To: General at classiccmp.org; Discussion at classiccmp.org:On-Topic and Off-
> Topic Posts
> Subject: Re: Olivetti M24 LAN Interface
>
> On 05/16/2015 04:29 AM, Robert Jarratt wrote:
> > I picked up an Olivetti M24 the other day. When I opened it up I found
> > a "Fox Research LAN Interface" dated 1984. I have not been able to
> > find any information on this card. It has a make DE-9 connector with
> > only 3 pins (technically does that make it a DE-3?). Can anyone give
> > me any details of this interface?
>
> I believe that that's an old 10Net card--essentially a 1Mbit protocol over
> twisted pair.  Popular briefly in the 80s mostly because it claimed to be
secure.

> Maybe there are protocol converters out there, but they'd probably be
pretty
> scarce.
>
> --Chuck

Can't say I had ever heard of 10Net before. And searching for it doesn't
turn up much. Just as you say converters would be hard to find, I suspect
finding software will be non-trivial too.

Still, the M24 itself seems to work reasonably well, although I think the
keyboard may need some attention as some of the characters don't seem to
register very well, hopefully just the contacts that need cleaning.

Regards

Rob