HV tracking across flexible PCB strips

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Mon May 11 16:32:06 CDT 2015

    > From: Jules Richardson

    > ... "splice tape" is rated for close to 22kV.
    > Of course that's *through the tape* though, so although it would
    > insulate the conductors from the outside world, it's not clear how
    > effective it would be at insulating the two conductors that are only a
    > couple of mm apart; the tape doesn't really play a part in that
    > scenario, only the glue.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but why not apply a layer of tape
immediately on top of the conductors - since a thickness of .X of a mm
(through) will insulate 22KV, Y mm (across - where Y is the distance between
the conductors) definitely ought to do it.

Although there is the glue that holds it down - I wasn't sure if that was the
glue you were referring to, or if you meant some other glue - that might not
be as insulating (or maybe it is, just don't know).

But, anyway, if the glue might be an issue, you'd have to apply the tape
non-glue side down (and stick something like regular electrical tape to it,
glue-glue, to nullify its glue on the now-up-facing side - unless you want to
use that to join the two layers of the original together). As to how to get it
to adhere: if you can figure out what the insulating glue was that they used
originally, or some modern facsimile thereof, you could use that.

	Noel