IBM 029 Card Punch and ASCII Machines

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun May 10 11:40:00 CDT 2015

On 05/10/2015 07:58 AM, Paul Koning wrote:
> Correct.  And a number of DEC operating systems had card reader
> support.  I haven’t seen them very often on DEC machines, but for
> example RSTS can handle at least 026 and 029 card codes, and some
> vague memory says there may have been a “1401” table as well.

One *could* get an 029 with nearly any *character set* implemented.  For
example, CDC Display Code 029s were all over place at CDC installations.

Many older machines did perform translation of punch codes into
character codes in hardware (eg. the 1401, 1620, etc.) but by the mid
60s, the usual procedure was to read the card in column or row-binary
and perform the translation with software. (eg. 1130 and later)

--Chuck