RT11 / RSTS-E games

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Fri May 8 11:40:51 CDT 2015

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 12:27 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at update.uu.se> wrote:
> On 2015-05-08 17:41, John Many Jars wrote:
>> Okay, I'm game.  What is it written in?  ...and where may I find it?  I
>> thought someone said they already had it working?

There's been a flurry of traffic and at least one assumption made.
What I posted that I said I have is the original Infocom RT-11 engine,
decompiled to Macro-11 source that someone sent me.  The original
compiles just fine on real RT-11, but I did a one-line hack at VCF
East 8 to allow it to compile and run on RSTS.  ZEMU is an entirely
different thing, also Macro-11 source, and has been successfully
compiled on RT-11 and RSX-11 but not yet (as far as anyone knows)
compiled and run under RT-11 emulation on RSTS/E.  I am away from my
repositories for the weekend, so I can't just peek and see what's
where.  If nobody grabs ZEMU source and tries it out on RSTS in the
next few days, I'll be free again next week to see where things stand.

Also, AFAIK, the Infocom-written Z-machine I have plays V3 games only
(there are only 1 or 2 V1 or V2 files anyway).  ZEMU plays V1-V8 and
will likely provide a nicer experience.

-ethan