oddball (XT PC-era?) keyboard - "dejag" etc controls

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Wed May 6 20:28:06 CDT 2015

On 05/06/2015 06:45 PM, Al Kossow wrote:
> On 5/6/15 3:53 PM, Jules Richardson wrote:
>>
>> Rescued a keyboard from the dump earlier which is about
>> the same style/size as an IBM model F, only a darker grey
>> color (and not a buckling spring mech).
>>
>> Layout-wise, there are no F-keys at all, but keys on the
>> numeric keypad are labeled things such as 'pan', 'curs',
>> 'local', 'dejag', 'vern', and then there are eight status
>> LEDs above the keyboard area
>> (on-line, local, interp, busy, pan, cursor, dejag, 2nd).
>>
>> Does this critter sound familiar to anyone? I didn't see
>> anything at the dump that it obviously belonged with, but
>> I may return tomorrow and double-check, and knowing what
>> I was looking for might be
>> helpful. Of course it's possible that whatever it hooked
>> up to is long-gone, or even had already been hauled off
>> from the drop-off area for processing.
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> Jules
>>

> I'm interested. It sounds like it may be for a Jupiter
> graphics terminal, which I have
> but don't have the keyboard.

I know a fair bit about the Jupiter 7.  This was a 2-piece
system. The keyboard was quite a bit larger than typical
keyboards, with TWO joysticks.  It had a row of lighted key
switches above the keyboard.  Then, there was a main box,
with power supply, 8 bit plate 1024 x 1024 graphics memory,
color look-up table, and a 6502 CPU.  It also had a DMA
interface that could download images at memory speed.  I
built an adapter to download images from a u-VAX.
We had one at work, and I had one on my home UVAX-II.  I got
a factory test mule from Jupiter when they closed down the
graphics terminal business for something like $150.  The
Jupiter 7 main box was the same width as the keyboard, about
3" tall and about 24" deep.  You generally set the color
monitor on top of the Jupiter. It has a rocker power switch
and an RJ-45 jack on the front, and (I think) 5 BNCs for
video and sync out on the back, plus some DB-25's.

If it is not a Jupiter unit, it might be from an AED 512 or
similar graphics box.

Jon