SGI Origin side skins

Sean Caron scaron at umich.edu
Tue Mar 31 18:37:54 CDT 2015

Just my opinion but if no functional issue I'd probably just leave them as
they are... Older SGI plastics as used on i.e. the Indigo, Indigo2, Indy
seem to be pretty robust even after 20-30 years down the line (though I'm
still loath to pull the cover on an Indigo2 nowadays unless I really have
to because getting them lined up to put back on can be tricky and you risk
breaking the tabs at the back of the top case...

But the later SGI equipment... well, I am thinking of the O2s in
particular, they must have changed the formulation on the plastics used for
the case skins because they did not age well and became quite brittle
fairly rapidly. They aged almost as poorly as the plastics in my Power Mac
8500 which are completely held together by epoxy at this point, LOL. What
was Apple thinking! (cost cutting, obviously)

I'm not sure if this was such an issue on the higher end systems i.e.
Octane, Origin/Onyx, Tezro, etc. but if I were in your shoes, my concern
would be that the side skins could fracture or shear in the process of
being removed or reinstalled. SGI's case designs were so striking; I want
to try and do everything I can to keep the skins in nice shape. Is the
paint really very bad? I'd just consider it a little bit of character :O

Best,

Sean