Wanted: PDP-11 Unibus Ethernet interface from Xerox, c. 1981

Al Kossow aek at bitsavers.org
Tue Mar 31 10:01:46 CDT 2015

On 3/31/15 7:23 AM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>      > From: Al Kossow
>
>      > I have several of them.
>
> Wow. I'm totally stunned! Do you have any 3-Mbit transceivers to go with them?

yes, I have a box of several dozen. I've run a two node net w/o them just cross-connecting
tx/rx

> If you (or anyone) need, I can provide old code for an IP/PUP router to
> connect a 3-Mbit Ethernet to a 10-Mbit (if you want to put, say, an Alto on
> the Internet - not sure if they ever did a 10-Mbit card for the Altos). It
> would need either a UNIBUS 11, or a QBUS 11 and a QBUS->UNIBUS converter. (The
> DEC one is UNIBUS->QBUS, so would not help us.)

There never was a 10mb card. I had kept some Sun2 bits around to build a 3 to 10 bridge
with a Sun 3mb card. I would be interested in the code for an 11. Somewhere, I might
have enough of the Stanford code around to do it with a SUN CPU card. Of course, now
you could do it all with an FPGA and embedded ethernet microcontroller.

If we were to get an Alto running again at CHM, I'd like to get a simulated IFS going
to Etherboot against.