SGI Indigo2 graphics options

Steven M Jones classiccmp at crash.com
Mon Mar 30 17:54:37 CDT 2015

On 03/30/2015 02:30 PM, Jules Richardson wrote:

> The High Impact board set has the optional 4MB of texture RAM

Nice!

> It's got 384MB of RAM, which is likely a healthy amount;

For retrocomputing tourism, that's plenty. IRIX has a typical 1990s RISC
memory footprint, outside of memory hungry modeling/effects/video
editing applications.

> I think 512MB was the official max on these (and it sounds like they'd
> take a bit more with 128MB modules)

An Indigo2 with the older R4k CPU modules (IP22) will max out at 384MB,
using 32MB fast page mode parity SIMMs. The R8k CPU systems (IP26) will
max out at 640MB using 64MB SIMMs, and officially the R10k CPU modules
(IP28) will get up to 768MB using the same 64MB SIMMs.

But yes, using 128MB SIMMs you can get to a full gigabyte, as documented
here by Ian Mapleson: http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/i2gigaram.html.

General information about the I2 can be found here, including pointers
for 128MB parts that should work in a 1GB configuration:
http://nekochan.net/wiki/SGI_Indigo2

--S.