Ridge 32/330 up and running!

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sun Mar 29 20:53:14 CDT 2015

On 03/29/2015 06:06 PM, Josh Dersch wrote:

> It's a rebadged PDP-8/L from late 1969.  The guy I got it from says it
> was used until the mid-2000s for creating paper tapes that drove CNC
> machines.  It came with an ASR-33 teletype, its only peripheral, so I
> assume the ASR was used for punching the tapes.
>
> After a few small repairs it's running fine, I still need to get the
> ASR-33 working properly (still having trouble with the reader-run
> control, and everything needs to be cleaned.)

Grease---wonderful :)  Looks like fun when you get it all ticking over.

My last run-in with Houdaille Strippit was for Great Dane Trailers--they
had some sort of 8-bit CP/M controller interfaced to the punch via
RS-232.  They wanted to move to a PC platform and use their current
software, so I rigged up an emulator with an emulation for the UART they
were using.  They were happy with the result.

Old CNC iron is a lot of fun.  I've supplied replacement drives for more
EDM gear than I can remember.  The only problem is that I keep getting
promises for 'artwork" from these guys and they never get around do it... :(

--Chuck