Recovering data from 4mm and 8mm tapes/ftape advice

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Mar 24 12:32:21 CDT 2015

On 03/24/2015 01:32 AM, Dave G4UGM wrote:
> I read somewhere that manufacturers implemented compression and the
> schemes were incompatible between drive makers. Perhaps this has
> caused issues for some..

I do recall, back in my dim memory, that when I was writing software for
the DDS, DLT and 8mm drives, that I would turn off all of extra vendor
features when creating tapes.    There were some interesting differences
in the DDS1 drives.   And vendor-unique features differed considerably.
  Some drives, for example, allowed for read-after-write (i.e. rewriting
of a block), but not all did.

Speaking of tapes, and not wanting to hijack the thread, but does anyone
here have experience with the Linux ftape (floppy tape) drivers?  I'm
about to install them on a Debian Woody setup and wonder if there's
anything that I should be aware of.  I *think* that Woody was the last
distro before they were dropped altogether.

--Chuck