Huge IBM 1800 find (and need some help)

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Sat Mar 21 12:42:43 CDT 2015

On 03/21/2015 03:17 AM, Johannes Thelen wrote:
>   CPU weights 907kg, why? Is power supplies so heavy or is there lead poured to structure ;) ?
>
> I'm picking this up next week, at least small items, so I would need some good advices also. Rolling cabinets via stair case is not option ;)

Note the CPU needs 3-phase power, and a lot of it.  Just the
CPU is supposed to be 3 KW, although that power
input may feed a number of other units.  I can't believe the
907 kg weight, it just DOES NOT make sense!
Looking at some detailed pictures of the system with the
doors open, I'd easily believe 200 or maybe even
250 kg for the CPU alone.  It does have 50-Hz transformer
power supplies, so that would make it heavier than the 360's
with their converter-inverter and 2500 Hz transformer
supplies.  But, 3 KW worth of 50 Hz transformer is not going
to weigh a TON!  So, I'm really suspicious of that figure in
the manual.  I can easily believe that whole system does
weigh a ton, however.

Well, I watched ONE GUY push a 360/65 CPU cabinet up a
ramp.  He was a BIG guy, but there's no way that thing
weighs almost 2 tons.  So, something is way wrong with ALL
these weights.  I can't figure out why they do this,
however.  Maybe they were hysterically afraid idiots would
under-specify the raised floors, so they put a HUGE safety
margin in there.

Jon