Huge IBM 1800 find (and need some help)

Lawrence Wilkinson lawrence at ljw.me.uk
Sat Mar 21 03:56:15 CDT 2015

Well done Johannes!

I guess you have the Physical Planning manual from Bitsavers. 907kg
seems a bit much - but maybe if it's fully optioned. Yes, power supplies
are heavy, frames are heavy, motors are heavy.

If they got it up there it must be possible to get it out! From my time
dismantling and reassembling the Model 30 I would say it's not designed
to be dismantled on-site. It can be done, of course, and I suggest
copious photographs before the during the process. I stripped the CPU
down to a bare frame, but maybe you don't need to go that far. It will
be in manageable sub-units, but they're likely to be solidly wired
together rather than with convenient connectors.

All the best, and I'm sure Mike Ross will chime in soon:
http://www.corestore.org/1800-2.htm for some of his photos of the innards.

Lawrence

Lawrence Wilkinson                                 lawrence at ljw.me.uk
Ph +44(0)7841-048948                             http://www.ljw.me.uk