Old NTSC tricks: 240p?

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Tue Mar 17 10:41:44 CDT 2015

>> I'm trying to understand at a low level how some early computers and
>> game consoles generated a non-standard form of NTSC.  [...]

> This has absolutely *nothing* to do with NTSC or PAL (or SECAM or
> whatever).  NTSC etc. are colour encoding standards and don't
> describe in any way how a image signal is generated (fields, syncs,
> timing).  [...]

You might want to update Wikipedia, then; its article on NTSC begins
its second paragraph with

   The first NTSC standard was developed in 1941 and had no provision for
   color.

The PAL article, though, _does_ say it's a colour encoding scheme;
SECAM too.

In any case, even if you're (strictly speaking) right, the terms get
used to refer to other aspects of the signal that usually uses that
colour scheme, so it's not entirely unreasonable to use them as the
original post did.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org